Asheville Youth Choirs are community choirs open to children and youth in Kindergarten – 12th grade. The Asheville Youth Choirs include the High School Chorale (grades 9-12), the Middle School Chorale (grades 7-8), the Concert Choir (grades 3-6) and the Prelude Choir (grades K-2). These choirs sing in area churches, civic functions, seasonal concerts, and summer tours, offering the opportunity for children and teenagers to come together to enjoy the challenge and friendship found in creating beautiful music, thereby making a positive impact in our community and beyond.
Rehearsals are from 3:00-4:10 p.m. on Sundays at First Baptist Church of Asheville, 5 Oak Street Asheville, NC. Following each rehearsal, there is a time for refreshments and friendship, concluding at 4:30 p.m. The choirs are led by Clark Sorrells, Robert Summerell, Karen Sorrells, and Deborah Kloos.
How to Join AYC
Auditions for all Asheville Youth Choirs are held prior to the fall and spring semesters. The next scheduled auditions will be Thursday, June 1, 2017 from 4:00-7:00 p.m. (Current members of AYC do NOT need to re-audition.)
Once you have completed your audition and received an invitation letter, please go to AYC 2017-18 Enrollment. Also be sure to download and read the AYC Handbook. This contains important information on schedules and expectations for the choirs.
- March 5, 2017, 11:00 a.m. – AYC Concert Choir in worship at St Mark’s Lutheran Church, Asheville
- March 12, 2017, 10:45 a.m. – AYC High School Choral in worship at Trinity United Methodist Church, Asheville
- March 12, 2017, 11:00 a.m. – AYC Middle School Choral in worship at Abernethy United Methodist Church, Asheville
- April 30, 2017, 11:00 a.m. – AYC Middle and High School Chorales lead in worship at First Baptist Church of Asheville
- May 14, 2017, 11:00 a.m. – AYC Concert Choir and the Nashville Children’s Choir at First Baptist Church of Asheville
- June 4, 2017, 7:00 p.m. – AYC Festival Concert at First Baptist Church of Asheville
These performances are free and open to the public.
Past concerts have included church worship services in both the fall and spring, and Christmas Concerts at the Basilica of St. Lawrence and First Presbyterian in downtown Asheville. In 2015, Asheville Youth Choir was the featured choir at the YouthCue Nation’s Capital Festival of Youth Choirs at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC.